Setting Up Your Website & Creating Your Marketing Funnel
1) Choose Your Domain Name
The first thing you want to do is to set up your Online Home and choose your domain name, which is where your marketing funnel begins. You want to begin to build your personal brand. You may also want to purchase a 2nd domain, for a future website/blog centered around your primary Direct Sales, or Network Marketing Business.
Setting up & installing your blog on your own is easier than you might be thinking. Learning how to install and design simple WordPress Blogs empowers you to be able to create blogs on multiple topics & niches in a very short time.
If you feel overwhelmed, or don’t feel you have the time we offer custom WordPress websites from $49.
I recommend you start out by purchasing your name, as in YourName.com. If your name is not available, then you might want to consider a variation, such asYourNameOnline.com
In addition you might want to begin brainstorming any website ideas that relate to your primary Direct Sales or Network Marketing Opportunity. If you find something you like, you can purchase them and set them aside.
Go to GoDaddy.com
With GoDaddy you get 1 free email account with the purchase of your domain.
If you prefer a simple, uncluttered interface on the Domain Registration Service, my preference is DirectNic.com.
I have used DirectNic.com for purchasing all of my website domains since 1999. They are my favorite choice…simple & easy to use, and very reliable.
Once you have your domain, if you find yourself wishing someone else would do the rest for you so you can focus on content, let us know.
2) Set Up Your Web Hosting Plan
My favorite company for website hosting is HostGator.com for 2 main reasons.
The first is that you can host as many websites as you wish on your hosting account for less than $10. a month. I have save hundreds of dollars a year with host gator compared to any company I have used in the last 15 years.
The 2nd is that HostGator.com offers this cool feature called Fantastico that after you take less than 2 minutes to fill out a quite form, you press a button & shazaam, your WordPress Blog is installed in seconds!
So, let’s get that hosting set up!
- Go to HostGator.com to purchase your hosting. The ‘Baby Plan’ is a good plan to start with, and plenty for what you need, and you get to host unlimiteddomains.
- If for some reason you choose a company other than HostGator, make sure it offers ‘c panel’ and that it includes Fantastico.
- Without Fantastico, unless you are an expert you’re likely to get lost, frustrated and give up like I did for far too many years. This really held me back, and I don’t want anyone else to expereince the same frustration and stunted growth in their online business as I did.
- With HostGator you enter the domain you have purchased as an ‘add on’ when you purchase the hosting. (The is no additional charge for the ‘add on.’
3) Forward Your Name Servers to Your Hosting Account
- Locate the email from HostGator and find the ‘Nameservers’ on it. There will be two.
- Log into your GoDaddy account and go to ‘My Domains.’
- Click on the icon that says Nameservers or DNS and delete the existing ones.
- Then copy & paste the two nameservers from your hosting account email to replace them.
- Note that it can take up to 48 hours for the Nameserver change to take effect. Once it has, you’ll see your domain name ‘parked’ at your new hosting service.
- Grab that email from HostGator “Your Account Info” and click on the link for “Your Control Panel” also known as c-panel. Your username and password are inside that email. Please save this email!
- Once you have logged in to your HostGator c-panel, scroll down the ceter of the page for the section with the header “Software Services”
- Click on the blue smiley-face icon marked “Fantastico Deluxe
- Click on the ‘WordPress’ icon is under ‘Blogs.’
- Click on ‘New Installation.’
- Select the domain name you want to install WordPress on. If you have just one domain this will be your only option. If you have more they will be listed in the dropdown menu.
- Leave the install directory box blank so it installs your Blog in the root domain. (You might be nervous at this point, that’s OK, I was too the first time. Trust the process, you are going to be SO excited in a few moments!)
- Create your username and password. Please write this down and store it in a place you’ll remember. (I started a spiral notebook for this)
- Finish completing the rest of the fields. Make sure you choose a simple username you like. It cannot be changed later.
- Once you are finished filling in the fields, click ‘Finish Installation.’
- Copy the link you see to log in to the admin, or back office of your new Blog.
Whooohooo, you have now installed your WordPress Blog!
5) Login and customize your blog.
Go to – http://www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin
Go to >> Settings >> General
- Enter in your “Site Title” (the name of your blog) and your “tagline” (like a slogan) You want to create your title & tagline with your keywords for the search engines.
- Select your time zone
- SAVE your changes.
Go to >> Stettings >> Permalinks
- Under “Common Settings” select “Custom Structure” and copy and past the following, exactly into the blank field: /%category%/%postname%
- SAVE your changes.
Your custom permalink settings are critical for SEO (Search Engine Optimazation) and giving your pages a name, otherwise they will be ‘numbered’ which is not what you want, and poor for SEO.
6) Choose & Install Your WordPress Theme
The theme I am using on my Blog, (the website you’re currently on) is the Lifestyle Theme, by StudioPress.
I will be adding instructions and a webinar or video course on installing the Lifestyle Theme & Genesis Framework soon. I love it, installing takes just a couple of minutes, and customizing is simple.
In the meantime, if you purchase the StudioPress Theme & need help with the installation, or BASIC set up, and need a little help, let me know.
Or, you can change the default theme with a free theme here – Free WordPress Themes
Download & save the them you have chosen, then login to your WordPress Admin and go to
>> Appearance >> Themes
- Then up at the top-center of the page, select Install Themes, the >> Upload to install the theme you have chosen.
- Once you have installed your theme, go back to >> Appearance >> Themes and click “Activate”
- When you visit your site you should see your new theme on your blog.
The next area we’ll cover is Widgets & Plugins which are super fun & easy to work with!
While we’re preparing to do this, let’s get your autoresponder account ready, so that we’ll be ready to install your Autoresponder Plug-In, or Widget and start building your list, and getting subscribers to your newsletter & updates.
Your Autoresponder is as important as your website, as without it you won’t have a way to collect the contact information of those who visit your website, and then keep in touch with them.
The Autoresponder I have used for the past 10 years is aWeber, the #1 Autoresponder company out there. They are the highest rated for deliverability, and they offer many styles of webform themes you can personalize, as well as email templates that are super-simple to use.
So, let’s get started!
Once you have set up your Autoresponder Account, let’s move onto those Widgets & Plug-Ins. These are what creates the appearance and functionality of your blog and also interaction with your visitors.